Saturday, November 2, 2013

Stroud's

Jeff heard really good things about this place from co-workers.  We were nearby when we visited the WWI Museum and decided to give it a try.  They open on Saturdays at 2 p.m. and we arrived shortly after that time.  I thought we would be the only ones there because it is between lunch and dinner time.  I was wrong.  The parking lot was full.  We left at 4 p.m. and people were waiting outside for a table.

On the outside, the restaurant looks like a house.


When we walk inside the restaurant, you realize you are in a log cabin.  If I read the history correctly, the log cabin was built in 1829.  The floors are not level.  The people next to us had a problem with their table not being level, so the waitress gave them shims.


The fireplace by our table.
The main item on the menu is chicken.  They are known for their pan fried chicken.

We started our meal with a mix of chicken liver and gizzards.  I have never been a fan of liver, but Jeff likes it. We decided to order a half order.

Half order of chicken liver and gizzards
We were surprised by the size of the half order.  It was huge!  We should have known that our meal portions were going to be large after seeing this.

We had a choice of a salad or soup.  We both choose salad.

Side Salad - notice the beet on the side.  I haven't seen that before.
I really didn't feel like chicken, so I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes.  It also came with green beans and cinnamon rolls.

Chicken Fried Steak which covers a large plate.

Mashed Potatoes - large enough for two people
I didn't take a photo of the green beans or the large bowl of gravy, unfortunately.  The chicken fried steak was very tender.  I could cut it with a fork.  It reminded me of Goodson's in Texas which claims to have the best country fried steak in Texas. However, after looking at the pictures I took at Goodson's, Stroud's definitely offers a bigger steak.

Jeff ordered the pork chop and chicken combination.  He ordered the cottage fries and his meal came with apple sauce.

Pork Chop and Chicken Breast

Cottage Fries are softer than regular fries
Jeff said the fried chicken may be the best fried chicken he has ever had.  I tasted a bite and it was so moist.  I wished I would have ordered that even though I enjoyed my country fried steak.

There was no way we could eat all the food.  It is crazy how much food you are given. We ended up just taking our cinnamon rolls home with us.

Cinnamon Rolls
Our leftovers!
We really enjoyed eating here. We are still amazed about the amount of food that is served.  It was all really good.  If you are ever in the Kansas City area, this is a must try.

Stroud's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment